The chronicles of a Friesian mare who happened upon an owner who lives outside the show ring....

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Be careful what you wish for......

Remember a few weeks back when I posted about wanting....even needing....snow?

Ut-oh.  I should not have said that out loud!  This past weekend we were completely dumped on by a massive blizzard.  Over 2 feet of snow blanketed the ground by Saturday morning with some drifts well over 5 feet high!  It took us 11 hours (eleven!) to clear all the snow away from the barn, paddocks, driveway, house, roof.........I am so sore!

I went out on Saturday morning to feed the horses at 8:30am, and didn't actually get to feeding them until 10:00am.  We had to shovel our way down! 
My husband helping shovel a path to the barn.


The side of the house (water spigot access)

Snow drifts at the back of the house and on the roof.



One of the remaining sections of stockade fence (Sandy took down most of them).  This is a six foot fence!
I finally made it down to the barn and decided to shovel around the horse trailer before feeding the crew.
Snow bank behind the trailer.  Had to move all this by hand!


Side of the barn.

Back of the barn.  Not going outside today!
 So I finally get inside to clean their stalls and feed them.  Here they are, happily munching on breakfast without a care in the world......


It had not stopped snowing by midday, so I wasn't about to break out the snow blower until the wind died down and the snow stopped.  After chores I took a walk around the property to see the beautiful (cold, nasty, heavy, disgusting) blanket of snow.
There's a car under there somewhere...

Truck is buried.

Front of the house

View of the barn and Daatje's paddock



Wicked tall bank at the end of the driveway!

Looking down Laura Ln

My ornamental cherry tree

Under the trees in the front yard as seen from the street


Looking up Laura Ln

Little blue house on the hill. <3
Needless to say, I didn't get to ride this past weekend.  It took the better part of both Saturday and Sunday to clear everything out.  I did manage to squeeze in snowshoeing on Sunday evening, just before the sun went down.  I have some pictures.....more on that later. :)

Moral of the story.....never, ever complain out loud in the woods, where the weather gods can hear you, about not having any snow! :o

1 comment:

  1. WOW!! That's a LOT of snow! I've never seen more than a foot of snow lol. And our snow never sticks around more than a day or two. I hope yours melts soon.

    ReplyDelete