The chronicles of a Friesian mare who happened upon an owner who lives outside the show ring....

Thursday, September 19, 2013

A *bit* of a change

I've been thinking alot about Daatje's hunting bit lately and her reaction to it.  It's a mullen mouth flexible plastic Korsteel pelham and although it's a kind and soft bit, I think she's resenting the tongue pressure when I have to really use it.  She's never been as strong as she is now.  Before, she'd peeter out after the first run and it was a struggle for her to keep up with the field so needing to use the bit was never an item.  Now, she's running strong all the way until the end and when she gets too strong, I find I'm hauling and she's sticking her tongue out the side of her mouth.  Hmmm.
Our hunting bit of the past 5 years.
So I looked at a bunch of options.  I really like the Pelham for it's two reins.  I didn't want to go with a Weymouth bridle because that's alot of bit in her mouth and I don't think she'd appreciate that, so I went searching for a Pelham with a slightly longer shank and sweeping ported mouth piece.  I settled on trying a Hartwell Pelham.

The Hartwell Pelham.....
It's got sliding cheeks for some flexibility, longer shanks for a bit more leverage, and a nice sweeping low ported mouth to take the pressure off of her tongue.  If she accepts the increased bar pressure, we should be golden.  If not, I'll go back to the drawing board.  We ride in it on Saturday so I'll be back to report on how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment