The chronicles of a Friesian mare who happened upon an owner who lives outside the show ring....

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Does this rider make my butt look big?



My has it been a shamefully long time since Daatje and I have attempted to school dressage.  There was a time when we were solid at 1st level and schooling some 2nd level moves, but now?  Disconnected might be a good way to put it!  My brother came out a couple of weeks ago and took some photos of us while schooling in the field.  (Thanks Nate!)  It was blatantly obvious to me, after looking at some of the photos mid-ride (educational tool when too poor for lessons!) that I was rounding my shoulders, sitting in a godforsaken chair seat with piano hands (blame the dingbat whacker for that!) and causing Daatje to be short in the neck and too deep behind the vertical.  Ugh.  Knowledge is power though, so after seeing the photos, I went back to work to try to correct the errors of my ways.  Here are some photos of the efforts after.
She has a ridonkulously short neck to begin with, so I have to be super careful not to scrunch her up in front.  So easy not to notice with a high necked horse!
With Daatje, I'm happy to see her light in front and slightly in front of the vertical.  I think we're picking up our canter here.
Really trying to maintain my out-of-shape-for-dressage self....but look at how nicely she's stepping under.  She really is a joy to ride.  So comfortable and balanced!
We had a good workout, the both of us!  Only 30 minutes of just trying to maintain a good rhythm and balance and we were pooped!
I sure do wish I had the resources for more dressage lessons.  Maybe someday.  For now we'll have to work with what we've got!  Getting back into shape will help.  I'm glad Daatje doesn't mind if her rider makes her butt look big. :)
All shortcomings are quickly forgiven with a few peppermint cookies.  ;)  Don't worry Daatje, we'll get back into practice this spring!

3 comments:

  1. She looks really nice in these photos! Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kate! I've lost alot of confidence in our dressage work (too much time spent galloping!) but I'm really hoping to get back into it this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys look fantastic!! Definitely doesn't look like you're out of shape/practice. I love her mane after you took it out of the braid. So wavy and pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete