The chronicles of a Friesian mare who happened upon an owner who lives outside the show ring....

Friday, November 7, 2014

Another cart

I'm going to look at another cart on Sunday.  I know I really liked the blue one, but I got to thinking about what it's like to train a horse in harness and how very nice it is to have an *easy entry* cart for those inevitable hairy moments.  The blue cart is not easy entry.  There are rear steps that you hoist yourself up and over the space between the wheels and the seat.  Once you're in, you're pretty much in.

I found this cart for sale, also locally, that doesn't have the asthetic value of the blue cart, but a quick bail out the side would be alot easier to execute, should that sort of thing become necessary. :)




It's newer and has seen less use than the blue one.  They want more money for it, but supposedly it's a package deal with a synthetic harness.  Depending on the harness, this could be very enticing.

The shafts are horse size at 81" but the wheels are only 35" in diameter.  There are no bells and whistles.  No spares box, the shafts are plain, not wrapped in patent.  This is a training vehicle, specifically made for that purpose.

Oh decisions, decisions.  Do I want to train her in a pretty cart or a cart that has a very easy form of egress?  :)


Blue Cart:  $500, 48" wheels, 83" shafts, rear entry
Oak Cart $800 (harness incl), 35" wheels, 81" shafts, side entry

Hmmm, I dunno.  I guess I'll have to see the Oak Cart in person and then decide which to get, if any!

Tomorrow is the big hunt.  The All New England Hunt's Joint Meet where all the hunts in NE are invited to hunt with Myopia at their prestigeous Hamilton, MA territory.  We'll be loading and leaving around 10:30am to arrive at 11:30am.  Hounds are cast at 1:00pm, so exciting!



1 comment:

  1. Oh wow that's a tough one!! I obviously love the blue one, but the wood cart is pretty too! One of the nice things about the blue one is how well it's held up for so long!! I was shocked when you said how old it is. It also has bigger wheels and longer shafts, but the entry is a good point you brought up. Didn't you say the 48" wheels are too short? Won't the 35" wheels be way, way too short? Also have you looked around at harness prices? Knowing how much harness sells for will help let you know if you are getting a good deal with the wood cart. Wow... tough decision. I wish I knew more about all this stuff so I could be helpful, but I just don't. Good luck with your decision!!!

    ReplyDelete