The chronicles of a Friesian mare who happened upon an owner who lives outside the show ring....

Friday, October 31, 2014

Perspective and a cart

So I've doing alot of thinking this week, trying to break down my feelings about Daatje and figure out where exactly is the happy place with this horse that I've devoted the past 13 years of my life to raising, training, caring for.

The first 4 years were frustrating.  I loved her dearly then, as now, but I wanted a horse that I could ride that instant.  I didn't want to wait for her to grow up.  I couldn't have two, she was my one, so I waited.  I raised the horse she is today.  A solid citizen, a pleasure to handle, a good mind.  Worth the wait for certain.

The next 4 years were frustrating.  She was ever so difficult to train under saddle.  The hardest I have ever sat on.  Teaching her to be ridden forward was like slogging through knee deep molassess.  But, I learned a TON and we acheived proficiency in 1st level dressage, which is something to be said for a horse who began life with the work ethic of a sloth. :P  Also worth the wait. 

The most recent 5 years have been more pleasant for certain.  She understands her job and performs it to the best of her ability.  She is a mare and she is a Friesian.  Two strikes against her right out of the box.  (three strikes if you count being an orphan) To look back and review what we have accomplished should be encouraging and inspiring.

So why do I feel so much angst?  Why am I not content?  Human nature sucks.  It really does.  I'm competitive.  I want things.  I want to jump higher, go faster, longer, get better scores, at higher levels......but why?  For what?  To what end?  Do I really want these things?  And do I really want them more than enjoying the bond I have spend 13 years nurturing?

The answer to that question is no.  Not really, not at all.  Sure, they'd be nice.  It'd be nice to show off to all the hunt peeps how daring and able I am on a horse equally so.  It would be nice to "fit in" with that crowd.  But that truly is not as appealing to me as the soul connection I have with my mare.  The connection we have is rare.  Something to be cherished.  Something that transcends desire for competition or acts of daring.

I've loved her for 13 years.  We've only been hunting for 6 of those years.  Daatje trumps hunting.  Period.  If she could no longer hunt, for whatever reason, I would keep her and find something else for us to do.  Reality is that simple.

So lately my mind has been wandering to activities we might pursue as she gets older.  One that I love, that she was bred for, but we've not yet mastered, is driving in harness.

I started her in the lines when she was 4.  She's pulled me on a drag in a sand ring and was hitched to a borrowed road cart once.  All taken in style, like a fish to water.  I do not believe it would take much effort to get her driving with confidence.  What a fun adventure that would be!

So I've begun the search for a suitable training vehicle.  I found one locally for sale, that I'm going to look at this weekend.  It's a lovely blue road cart that has cosmetically seen better days, but is reportedly sound for work.  A Friesian mare about Daatje's size pulled it, so it should be a good fit.




  The sellers are retiring down south and selling everything.  Price is definitely right!  I will keep you posted as I'm very excited about this new activity that we could enjoy together.  Something Daatje can do, even as she ages.  Something my husband and I can do with Daatje together!

We're foxhunting in Rochester tomorrow.  It's supposed to be 40°F and raining, so perfect weather for my black pearl.  It's the Halloween hunt, and costumes are encouraged.  We're going to use our Zorro costume, although my husband says it looks more like Wesley from the Princess Bride.  Lol. :)





9 comments:

  1. I've always thought driving looked like so much fun, but I've never learned myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is alot of fun! There's alot to know to put a horse to a vehicle safely. I learned when I was a teenager and have driven my Mom's mini for the past 20 years. I've also driven Morgans and of course, many Friesians. I can't wait to pick up Daatje's training where we left off. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm with your husband--Wesley---definitely. I actually understand where you are coming from. I had a horse that I raised from birth and had many frustrating years with him. He didn't suit me and my needs--but I loved him so much--I could never give him up. I was lucky enough to have another horse who was ideal for me, and that helped. In the end, he found a perfect career--introducing my niece to horseback riding. They suited each other perfectly.

    I think that would be so neat if you could start driving her! I look forward to reading about your future adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to hear from someone with similar experiences. :) It is a tough place to be in when you have that special one, but they don't meet all your needs. I always say Daatje will be the *perfect* husband horse down the road when I get horse #2. Until then, I'm really excited to pursue driving with her!

      Delete
  3. I'll enjoy watching you take her on this new chapter. I've got an extra strike with my Friesian - he's a stallion. Not too many folks want a stallion in their events. I'm lucky I've got a little Palomino to take on those trips, but she is near retirement age - I'll have to make some decisions myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Friesians are a different breed, that is for certain. There's alot to love about them but I certainly didn't realize the depth of their limitations way back in 2001 when I fell in love with Daatje. They truly are sweet, sweet horses. Very thoughtful and kind.

      Delete
  4. So much of what you have written here echoes deep within my soul. I love this post, and I love the love you have for your mare. She would look stunning in harness, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post! Everything about it! Your love for her is way more important than anything else. I was wondering, could you not catch ride on someone's horse (if one is available) sometimes so you can go faster, higher, longer every once in a while or would that just make you even less satisfied with Daatje? I'm so excited about the cart!! I hope you can buy it and I look forward to reading all about your training and adventures together. I would love to have a cart and teach Chrome to drive. Maybe by the time he is her age we will be able to hehe. I love your costume! My husband looked over and said Daatje is so gorgeous. He thought she was a stallion at first lol! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! That's too funny. She gets mistaken for a boy alot! :D I've always been the kind of rider who gets the most out of riding by developing a relationship with the horse I'm on. Catch riding is a great skill builder for learning to adapt quickly to different types of horses, but knowing Daatje was at home, and I was riding someone elses horse, just wouldn't feel right. If I didn't have Daatje, that would be different, I think. I can't wait to set us up for driving! I've got alot to do and equipment to get my hands on, but we've got all winter (great time to buy this kind of stuff as it is most definitely off season). I went to look at the blue cart yesterday. I thought it was fantastic for the money, but might be too smallf for Daatje. More on that in a subsequent post! :D

      Delete