The chronicles of a Friesian mare who happened upon an owner who lives outside the show ring....

Monday, October 7, 2013

Hunting on a Wednesday

Is not something I get to do very often, given the fact that I have to work to make a living.  But, last Wednesday I took a vacation day to go foxhunting.  It was a hot day, nearing 80 degrees.  The MFH waived jackets (thank goodness!) given the heat so although it's now formal season, we were allowed to wear our white polos.  I was asked to lead 2nd field, which is not something I usually do, but I was happy to oblige (although deep down, a little nervous).  There's a bit more responsibility that goes along with leading a field vs riding in one! 

2nd Field
All was going quite well until about 1/2 way through the hunt.  The warm weather had brought the yellow jackets (aka ground bees) out in droves and we had run into them several times already, knowing that we would have to double back at some point and cross their nests again was a bit disconcerting!

So, at one of the known ground bee nests, first field took off at a good clip.  I held my field back just a few seconds so that if 1st field slowed down, my field would have time to clear the bees.  Well that plan backfired.  By the time we reached the 4 way intersection in the trail, where 1st field should have been was a cloud of dust!

Ugh.  I went straight and by the time I had realized we were not following 1st field anymore, we were already back across the river. 

I'm trying to think of where they could have gone when it dawns on me that they're at stirrup cup!.......which is at least 2 miles (ok, I might be exaggerating) in the opposite direction.  Grumble.

So, off we went at a smart trot in (what I hoped) was the direction of the Goss's farm where stirrup cup is held.  We got there, in a round about sort of way, thank goodness!

Phew!  After that, bees or no bees, I was not letting 1st field out of my sight. :)

Here are some more shots of last Wednesday's hunt.
Playful hounds at the beginning of the hunt

Beginning the hunt

Standing at a check.  See the "fox"?

At another check

Moving off from a check.

Daatje is thinking "why am I not up with them???"

Hilltop field!

Hounds at the pond, cooling off

2nd field at the pond

Check at the cemetery




From the cemetery check, a pair of working drafts could be seen in the distance.


Not all of the hunt horses were ok with this set up. :)  Daatje doesn't mind horses in harness.

Fall in New England is a beautiful sight.

Heading down to cross the river.

Daatje's view.  (just after I took this shot, the appy ran right over yet another nest of ground bees!)

Off to the pond for a dip after another awesome day of hunting!

3 comments:

  1. Now that's a good hump day :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. We worry about africanized bees here. I wish I could join you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh about the bees! I hope no one got stung... what a fun way to spend a vacation day, even if you did get a bit turned around hehe. Great photos!

    Oh and I didn't see the "fox"... what is it? A pelt?

    ReplyDelete